Diesel engines are extremely popular today, simply because they are economical and have a lot of torque. On the other side, turbocharged diesel engines can have similar or even better performances that petrol engines. In general, diesel fuel and gasoline are made from the same crude. However, these fuels have different characteristics, with makes diesel and gasoline powered engines very different. A bad thing is that both of them have drawbacks. In a case of diesel engines, these drawbacks are more severe. Within this guide, you will learn about the best diesel injector cleaners and their innumerable benefits.
Problem with the deposits
The main issue, all diesel engines have the deposits that occur inside of an engine. The most common type of deposits is those around fuel injectors. The sad truth is that every diesel engine has this problem, and it occurs after a longer period of use, so older cars with diesel engines usually have this issue. As the result, the engine will increase the fuel consumption and reduce its power. Simply said, it will be less economical and the car will be slower.
Keep in mind that the aforementioned deposits occur no matter where and what type of diesel fuel you use. However, in some countries, where fuel has lower quality, these deposits are a more common issue. This means that you should clean the injectors from these deposits more often.
Solutions to clean the deposits
One of the ways to clean fuel injectors is to take a car to a professional garage. They use ultrasonic waves to clean the debris. Although, this is a good way, it is expensive and it isn’t especially good. Another way is to dissemble the fuel injectors and clean them by yourself. Although, this is the cheapest solution, you must have more than needed knowledge. Also, this is a time consuming process. The best and the simplest way to clean the fuel injectors is to use injector cleaners. These are chemicals that are added to the fuel. While the engine is running, these cleaners will remove the debris.
Keep in mind that cleaners don’t have any side effects to your car. They are specially designed in order to remove the debris around fuel injectors and after that they will burn and be eliminated. As the end result, you get more power, due to the fact engine is restored to the original state and the fuel consumption is going to be reduced. No matter which diesel car you have, you can use these cleaners.
Over time, older cars lose their power. For example, if a car had 200 PS as a brand new, after 10-15 years it will have 150 PS. This reducing cannot be prevented, but there are techniques that can help you. Once again, diesel injector cleaners can restore that power. According to a research, they can restore up to 30 PS! Of course, the factory power of your car is something that determines the amount of restored power. In addition, the car will have better combustion and starting the engine will be easier.
Additional benefits of the diesel injector cleaners
Beside the aforementioned benefits, the cleaners offer a few more advantages. The first thing you should know is that they will clean the whole fuel system, including the hoes, pipes and fuel pump. This means that all deposits will be removed. In addition, these cleaners protect the fuel system, so it will be immune to the corrosion and forming of deposits.
The black smoke, on the exhaust system is usually connected to a bad fuel or fuel system. Diesel injector cleaners can eliminate this issue as well. On the other side, they will reduce the noise, an engine makes. At the same time, they will provide an extra amount of lubrication to the fuel, so the engine will last longer.
Best Diesel Injector Cleaners – Our Reviews
If you like protecting your car and extending the life of the engine, using the fuel injector cleaners is the best way. They are cheap, easy to use but, they are very effective. They should be used 4-5 times per year, in order to apply all the benefits to the engine. This is the best preventive you can provide to your car. For older cars, this preventive is even more important. The best part, there are a lot of the fuel injector cleaners on the market, so you can choose the one you like. On the other side, some are better than the others, so here are the 5 best options.
1. Stanadyne Performance (The Best Choice)
• Offers one tank feature, so the system can be cleaned with just one use of the cleaner.
• Improves the lubrication of the fuel system, so it will last longer.
• Should be used 5-6 times per year, for the best performances.
• One bottle is enough for 25 gallons of diesel fuel.
• Made by the same company that makes fuel injectors.
• Improves fuel consumption, power and performance.
• Extends the life of an engine.
• Reduces the noise and eliminate black smoke.
• Only one bottle is enough.
• Should be used for LLY.
• On some cars it cannot restore horsepower for some respectable amount.
2. Power Service Diesel Kleen
• Effective on all engines, even on the latest ones with high pressure fuel systems.
• Enables faster cold starts and reduces the noise of the engine.
• The fuel consumption will be reduced. Your car will be 8% more efficient.
• Ultimate lubrication is perfect for protecting the components of the engine.
• Can be used for all types of fuel, even for a biodiesel.
• Protects the fuel system and extends the life.
• Eliminates the black smoke for the exhaust system and improves combustion.
• Rare injector cleaner that can be used for biodiesel.
• Makes an engine more economical than similar cleaners.
• Eliminates the black smoke.
• Protects the fuel system.
• Isn’t very effective on truck engines.
• Less efficient with latest cars.
3. Hot Shot’s Secret Diesel Extreme
• This is one of rare cleaners that removes water from the fuel. It is more than needed in countries where this problem is a well-known issue.
• Protects the whole fuel system and makes it immune to the corrosion and deposits.
• Clean fuel pump and other components, beside fuel injectors.
• It will boost cetane and stabilize the fuel.
• All components of the fuel system are going to be lubricated, so they will last longer.
• Treats 150 gallons of fuel.
• The horsepower will be increased.
• Rare cleaner that removes water from the fuel.
• Reduces the fuel consumption.
• Protects the elements of the fuel system.
• It should be used once in every 6 months.
• Low effect on cars that use high-quality fuels.
• Less preventive than similar products.
4. Royal Purple Max-Tane
• Makes cold start up faster and it is effective for high and low temperatures.
• It cleans the whole fuel system, pistons, valves and combustion chambers.
• The fuel consumption is going to be reduced for 10%.
• Eliminates the odor and black smoke for the exhaust system.
• Protects the fuel system, so the engine will run properly for a longer period of time.
• Can be used for all types of diesel fuels, even for biodiesel and ULSD.
• Can be used with old and brand new cars and in both cases, this cleaner will be effective.
• One of the best diesel injector cleaners on the market
• Reduces fuel consumption for 10% (more than other injector cleaners).
• Can be used for diesel and biodiesel fuels.
• Protects the fuel system.
• Cleans the engine, beside the fuel system.
• Low price.
• Improves the lubrication of the fuel system.
• Less efficient for areas where the temperatures are high.
• Isn’t a well-known diesel injector cleaner.
5. Lucas Fuel Treatment
• Increase the power of an engine.
• Reduces the fuel consumption.
• The fuel system and valves, pistons and combustion chambers are going to be well-protected.
• Fuel pumps and injectors can last longer.
• Can be used for older cars, that doesn’t have modern fuel injectors.
• Eliminate the low sulfur issues.
• One bottle is enough for 400 gallons of fuel. This is the best deal you can find.
• Injector cleaner can treat up to 400 gallons.
• Very effective in eliminating engine sound and smoke on the exhaust system.
• Protect the engine and fuel system components.
• Improves the fuel economy. Especially good for cars with big engines.
• Less effective than aforementioned injector cleaners.
Best Diesel Injector Cleaners – Comparison Table